Thursday 5 February 2009

5-2-08 1st EVER BLOG


After following the blog of little Kayleigh I have decided to post my own blog about our journey to parenthood.  I am 27 weeks pregnant with our first little boy Brayden Michael.  I have had a few ups and downs but for the most part all is well.  Here is a little recap of the last few weeks: Well, it's been 5 days since I had a positive Fetal Fironectin test (50/50 chance of going into preterm labor in the next 2 weeks)  and the scan that showed my little man's head is already engaged. (silly lil guy).......and all is fine :)  So far so good, only some minor cramps several days ago but nothing to worry about.  Right now I am taking the doctors advise and trying not to do too much, staying off my feet as much as possible.  I was able to get both the required steroid shots last week to help speed up fetal lung development.  It was very scary at my appointment with the doctors freaking out over early labor and my blood condition!!!  Me and my poor husband Andrew just sat there in shock!!!  But I am glad they are on top of things and it made me feel more confident after I got to speak with some of the other doctors that will be involved in my care.  After speaking to the Anesthetist, my one big concern was in regards to bleeding and the pain relief issue.  He completely put my mind at ease in both regards.  He had actually done some research about my blood condition and found 4 case studies (yes only 4 in the world) that have had successful pregnancies.  He stated that in all 4 cases ( 2 being vaginal and 2 being c-section) that the blood loss with fibrinogen replacement was around 600ml in the vaginal birth and the worst case was 2000ml with a c-section that had placental abruption. And on the subject of pain relief they don't want to do an epidural because the increased risk that I have of bleeding into the spine if it's only for pain.  But they have decided I can have an epidural if I start to get into trouble and the risks start to outweigh the benefits.  UPdate:  as of my appointment yesterday my OB wants to plan a C-section at 34 weeks to minimize risk to myself and the baby.  I will get a spinal block if my fibrinogen level is stable enough at the time, if not I will be put to sleep.  They want me to go into natural labor before then even if it is early as my body is starting to use up more and more fibrinogen . I also got to visit the NICU at the hospital to prepare us what to expect with a preterm baby.  Was good to see how well they are actually taken care of.  Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers that little bub will stay in as long as possible. 


No comments:

Post a Comment